Rug Clients Beware
Before Hiring a Rug Cleaner…Some Important Tips about What You Should Be Concerned About
We at Four Seasons Rug Care Studio appreciate you coming to our website to begin gathering information about our rug cleaning company. However, and sadly, since 1990 when we started , many valuable rugs that we have seen in our work have been irreversably damaged by the irresponsible work of uninformed, uneducated, and sometimes downright unscrupulous rug cleaners.
Whether you hire us or someone else, please consider these guidelines in making your choice:
- Are they educated and certified as a Woolsafe Certified Provider? The Woolsafe logo can only be used by company leaders and owners who have trained with world- class teachers from this from this worldwide organization who teach how to safely and effectively clean natural rugs and carpets. Remember that wool contains lanolin and other natural oils from the sheep. This makes your rug last for decades, or even generations. THESE NATURAL OILS SHOULD NEVER BE STRIPPED OUT WITH CARPET CLEANING CHEMICALS.
- Beware of companies who don’t invite you to visit their facility. A good rug cleaning company has a storefront and will be happy to show you their shop and operations. If not, you should assume that a) your rug will be subcontracted out for cleaning to people unknown to you or B) there is something unprofessional about the way the rug cleaning operation is being done.
- Don’t have your area rugs cleaned at your house. Our rug washing process is a system that includes up to fourteen steps and cannot be done at your home. Companies who do that are subjecting your area rugs to much more water and steam that can be dried without a controlled, temperature and humidity regulated room with plenty of fans. If it is being done at your house it probably isn’t being thoroughly cleaned, and, as we have said before, area and oriental rug cleaning requires being very experienced and knowledgeable.
- Do they have RUG insurance? Most carpet cleaners have insurance that covers only the cleaning of wall to wall carpeting. We know the value of the rugs our customers bring us because it is part of the client interview process we do when we pre-inspect a rug for cleaning. They can be quite valuable! This is why we make sure to have adequate insurance that covers the cleaning of these oriental and other area rugs.
- Are they experienced? We have been washing natural area rugs since 1990. We are experienced in wool, silk, cotton, camel hair, new synthetics such as bamboo and banana silkk, and synthetics. We take care of restoring rugs and tapestries after fire and smoke have affected them. We are second to none in providing hand- done repairs to your rug. All of our rug wash staff is thoroughly trained by our company owner- we never just delegate the care of your rugs to unskilled labor. DON’T TRY TO SAVE A LITTLE MONEY OR TIME AND WIND UP LETTING AN INEXPERIENCED RUG CLEANER PRACTICE ON YOUR RUG.
- Are chemicals such as bleach being used to clean your rugs and whiten your fringes? Many rug wash companies will grudgingly admit “we use a little bleach” in the washing of the rugs. This is because they reclaim the water from their machines. The bleach is harmful and not approved by Woolsafe. It will dry out and weaken the fibers, causing future threadbare areas, holes, and disintegrating fringes.